Skip to main content
Grants.Duke and Grants.Gov guidance
- This web app provides the DUMC community the ability to submit grant proposals electronically to NIH. The Sponsored Projects System (SPS) populates the Grants.duke system to allow users to attach supporting documents to the grant proposal, then release the proposal for submission. Grants.duke electronically transmits the proposal to Grants.gov, then on to eRA Commons for NIH receipt.
- The Grants.duke system may be updated with application documents once the corresponding SPS record is at an Initialized state.
- The SPS record must be completed and routed to the Pending Central Approval (PCA) state 5 business days prior to the application due date. SPS records received after this timeline will require a waiver. Please refer to the Grant Proposal Waiver Request page.
- Once the SPS record has received an approved ORA review, the record will be changed to the Awaiting Submission state which allows the PI to release / submit the application to NIH in Grants.duke. PIs will need to submit applications by 5:00 p.m. institution local time for receipt at eRA Commons without any error to be considered on-time.
- When an FOA is NOT supported by Grants.duke, a Grants.gov package will need to be completed and attached to the SPS record Internal Documentation. Please note: Grants.gov packages can expire in connection with an FOA. It is VERY important to confirm on the first page of the downloaded package that the expiration date has not passed and it remains active. Expired packages will not pass the validation process of electronic submission.
- The SPS record will have no connection to the Grants.gov package and will require additional time for separate data entry.
- The SPS record must be completed and routed to the Pending Central Approval (PCA) state 5 business days prior to the application due date which includes the Grants.gov package as an attachment in the SPS Internal Documentation.
- ORA will review the application and will expect to receive the Research Plan components 2 business days prior to the application due date. Upon receipt of the completed Research Plan components, ORA will submit the application through the Grants.gov portal by 5:00 pm. institution local time for receipt at eRA Commons without any errors.