Plan and Refine Project
Determine compute and data storage solutions
Need assistance with compute or storage solutions?
Selecting appropriate compute and storage platforms is vital for efficiency and security, and is based on the type of data (such as size, format, and whether the information is sensitive). Refer to the Duke data classification standard guide for more information about considered Sensitive or Restricted according to Duke’s data classifications and regulatory requirements.
SecureIt is a tool developed by the Office of Information Technology (OIT) to determine appropriate computational and data storage solutions based on classification and other needs and requirements of research data. Researchers can compare and contrast computational and storage solutions based on responses to questions about the data, and select the best option for a specific project.
SecureIt includes information about:
- Duke Box
- Duke Compute Cluster (DCC)
- OIT storage solutions and virtual machines
Additional assistance with compute and data storage solutions
For more direct assistance with determining the appropriate storage options or cloud solutions based on the classification of the project data, contact:
- Departmental IT contact
- Research Computing for assistance with custom computing solutions
- The Sensitive Data Research Support team; who help primarily campus area researchers with guidance for the use and management of protected or sensitive data.
- The Office of Academic Solutions and Information Systems (OASIS). They help primarily SoM and SoN researchers access consultation services related to data collection and sharing. The team has expertise in Duke Health data and mobile/web applications.