NIH training grants (F and T series) are intended to provide individual research training opportunities to trainees and early career scientists.
When applying for an F or T series grant, follow the most current NIH SF424 guidance, as well as any specific instructions in the funding opportunity announcement (FOA).
Also review additional NIH proposal guidance:
- Page limits for common sections
- Formatting guidelines
- Rules for text fields
- NIH Grants Policy Statement (to better understand the NIH, its grants process, and terms and conditions if the proposal is awarded)
Note: The FOA instructions always supersede the SF424 or standard page limitation guidance.
Templates and examples
NIH F grants toolkits and templates
- For all NIH F grant proposals:
Toolkits are revised annually to conform to any updates in the SF424 guidelines.
NIH F grants Human Subjects and Clinical Trials attachments
- Human Subjects Study fillable form (download to view); annotated fillable form (see p. 31)
- Study Record: Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Information fillable form (download to view); annotated fillable form (see p. 32-39)
- Note: Fellowship applicants who are proposing to gain clinical trial research experience under a sponsor’s supervision should only provide information in certain fields of the PHS Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Information, given that the study is not an independent clinical trial. Do not provide information in “Section 4 – Protocol Synopsis” or in “Section 5 – Other Clinical Trial-related Attachments” of the Study Record.
- Availability of Investigational Product (IP) and Investigational New Drug (IND)/Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) Status
- Data and Safety Monitoring Plan
- Delayed Onset Justification
- Dissemination Plan
- Human Specimens and/or Data Not Considered Human Subjects Research
- Inclusion of Individuals across the Lifespan
- Inclusion of Women and Minorities
- Other Requested Information
- Overall Structure of the Study Team
- Protection of Human Subjects
- Recruitment and Retention Plan
- Recruitment and Retention Plan, if using existing dataset/resource
- Single IRB Plan
- Statistical Design and Power
- Study Timeline
NIH T grants toolkits and templates
T grant harassment and discrimination letter
Harassment and discrimination letter for T15, T32, T34, T35, T36, T37, T90/R90, TL1, TL4 applications